Alexandru Romanciuc

Alexandru Romanciuc

Tuesday 17 September 2019

Mount Weart and Mount Cook

                                            Mount Weart and  Mount Cook-August 10-11-2013

Since most of my friends were busy I decided to do a solo trip into a area that I've been before,Wedgemount Lake.

The plan was to do it as an overnight trip so I left Vancouver pretty early to get a camping spot before they all get taken.

I started form the parking lot at about 7 AM and there was only 2 ore cars and one more group of 2 climbers that started at the same time which were doing Mount Weart as a day trip.





Once I got at the lake I set  up my tent on a tent pad and got all my sleeping gear and food in the ten and after few snacks I started my way towards Mount Weart.






The 2 climbers passed me while I was setting up my tent so I tough it should be easier to go up since I wouldn't have to do too much route finding and follow them.








Once I was getting close to the toe of the glacier I saw them higher up than the route that is described in Matt Gun's Scrambles Book, they looked a bit confused and there were sending a lot of loose rocks down the slope while there were trying to traverse it.

Once they saw me bellow them we started dropping down to me and ended up that they would follow me in the end.




The route to Mount Weart was pretty straight forward with few cairns here and there.

Just before getting on the ridge I stopped to have some snacks and was looking at the route that is described in the book of how to get up on the ridge.

That way didn't looked too inviting,looked like a gully with lots of loose rocks and I just decided to go straight up avoiding getting into that gully which I found my route more stable,maybe wasn't was easier as the normal route but at least you are don't have all those loose rocks.







The other 2 climbers decided to go by the normal route and as I found out later on the summit is not recommended to do it.

Once I got on the ridge it was a nice walk with some scrambling sections along the way to the summit of Weart Peak.





I took a lot of photos of those summit view and took some snacks and once the other team got on the summit I started my way back down.






I was almost running down the mountain on the easy parts and a group asked me if something happened or why I am going down so fast.

On the way down form the ridge I took the same route I took up which was pretty fast and easy and didn't took me too much time to make it back to the camp.

Once I got back at the campsite I had some snacks and still had lots of time left so I decided to just go for Mount Cook.

I knew it will be a slog to get up there but I also knew that it will be a pretty easy hike I should make it there and back before sunset.

Soon I started my way up Mount Cook following the trail from the campsite.

I was going pretty slow and that scree slope just felt endless.

Soon I finally saw the summit getting close to me and I tough I was late begin on a summit but there was still few people on the summit of Weart once I got on the summit of Cook.



I didn't stayed too much time on the summit since it was getting late and wanted to get back to the campsite before dark.



Once I got back to my tent I had my dinner and went to bed.

The next day I packed my tent and hiked out making my Sunday a pretty short day.





No comments:

Post a Comment