Alexandru Romanciuc

Alexandru Romanciuc

Saturday 14 September 2019

Mount Jimmy Jimmy

                                                 Mount Jimmy Jimmy-June 02 2013

It was finally time for me to move back to BC and of course that for the last 2 years I kept contact with my friends from BC.

When I decided to drive back from New Brunswick I pick the day so I would end up in Vancouver a day before the weekend since I knew that some of my friends will get out for sure.

After talking with Adrien and Dean about doing a hike on the weekend I get back Adrien came up with the idea of going for Mount Jimmy Jimmy.



Adrien and Dean were on skis and I was on my snowshoes so I already knew that I will be way slower than them.

Adrien managed to drive his car all the way to the intersection of Ashlu FSR with Pokosha Road.

The trail wasn't too bad, we followed the road for a bit and  looked like somebody did some clearing on that road not too long ago.
We had to deal with a short section of alders before getting into the forest.



It was pretty mellow and easy ascent to the upper lake and we could still see trail markers.

At about 1300m Adrien and Dean got their skis on and we started our ascent to the lake which had a steep section.



Once we got on the lake we all kind of took our route, Dean since he is pretty light went across the lake, I went on the right side of the lake where was a bit steeper for skis but fine for snowshoes and Adrien went on the left side on the lake which was mellow but a long way.

Once we crossed the lake we got to the col from where we could see the hanging glacier and Adrien and Dean were deciding which way to go and in the end we took a mellow south slope that gradually climbed.



To get on the ramp was a bit steep but once you are on the ramp it's pretty mellow but further there was a short section of mellow traversing to do and at that time it was already pretty warm and the sun was finally getting out of the clouds and that was just slushy which made that traverse not that comfortable.

Once we all got over that section it was a mellow a huge glacier that was leading to the summit of Jimmy Jimmy.






Adrien and Dean gave me a walkie talkie and started their way towards the summit.




I run out of water and I was going pretty slow on the last uphill before the summit plateau.



Not too far from the summit Adrien and Dean decided to make the camp and the cave was pretty much done by the time I got there.

After we had our dinners and lots and lots of stories we went to bed.

The next morning we all woke up and decided to go first to the summit which was about 300m away.



The snow was still pretty hard and made for fast travel to the summit.



Near the summit where was a short scramble section.







After taking lots of photos we started our way down to the camp but since Adrien and Dean had their skis they went for a morning run down the glacier while I went back to our camp.



I knew that they will be way faster so as soon as they got back to the camp I started my way back down but they still got to me pretty fast.





The way back down was a bit faster since the snow was more firm and I could go a bit faster.









It was a great trip with friends and it was great to be back in BC.



No comments:

Post a Comment