Alexandru Romanciuc

Alexandru Romanciuc

Sunday 13 September 2015

Joffre and Spetch

                                Joffre and Spetch Peaks-April 23-24,2011

I was talking for a while with a person on facebook, Dean Perez, and looking at his photos I always wanted to go on a trip with him and see how it will go, and luckily he invited me on his trip that he was planning to do with his friends, Adrien and Matthew.

I didn't asked too many questions about which peaks we are going to do, all I knew we will be going up Spetch Peak on the first day and decide what we will do on the second day.

All of us met in North Vancouver pretty early and I wasn't too excited since just just a day ago I was on Vantage Peak and had to do the same trail pretty much,.

We had to make few stops which made us to get pretty late at the parking lot of Cerise Creek where we got at about 12.30.



We were making a pretty good time and made it to Keith's Hut pretty fast where we had our lunch and soon we got our backpacks on and started our way towards Joffre-Mattier col.



We tired to move faster while crossing under Joffre Peak since it was getting warm at that time of the day.







Once we got at the col we decided to make a cave and put our gear in there and go for Spetch.



After some digging we finally got the cave done,which was more like a open hole, but later we had a tarp on top of it.

Soon me,Adrien and Dean left our campsite and started our way towards Spetch Peak which looked pretty small from our campsite.

once we got at the base of Spetch we got all our gear on and started our ascent up the steep slopes of Specth peak.



it was pretty steep going up but the snow was pretty good, not too soft so didn't took us too much to get up.



Once we were done with the steep climb we finally reached the mellow ridge to the summit but we stopped just before the summit to enjoy and take some photos of the beautiful sunset after what we continued our way to the summit of Spetch Peak.



We didn't spent too much time on the summit and soon started to go back down and tried to get down the steep climb before dark.











Soon we made it back to the campsite where Matthew was waiting for us in his warm sleeping bag.

I didn't had much experience with camping, especially winter camping so I got 2 cans of food that everybody got a bit shocked that I carried them all the way up there and I had a pretty cheap -20C sleeping bag which was more than half of my 42L backpack, it was huge, heavy but kept me warm.

The next morning we woke up and after some breakfast we started our way down towards Aussie Couloir.
Matthew wasn't feeling too good so he decided to stay at the camp.



I was pretty excited about going up towards Joffre by Aussie Couloir since just yesterday we  could see that mighty looking couloir from Spetch Peak.

Dean and Adrien were leading most of the way while I was in the middle of the rope.



After a while we finally reached the top of the couloir from where we had to do a small exposed traverse to get to the summit plateau of Joffre Peak.






I was pretty happy standing on top of Joffre Peak with my new friends and looking at those incredible summit views.



Soon we started our way down and after a while we made it back down safe.

At the campsite Matthew was waiting for us in his sleeping bag outside his bivy.





Once we got all the gear packed we started our way down to the parking lot.

It was an amazing trip with new friends in a very special place.





































No comments:

Post a Comment